Local help to stop smoking
There are Stop Smoking Service providers located throughout New Zealand, and they can help you on your quit journey. Your local service will be able to work with you to create your quit plan, with free and flexible support and free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). You can access your local stop smoking service information by clicking on your region below.
|North Island||South Island|
|Bay of Plenty||Marlborough|
|Hawkes Bay||South Canterbury|
A contacts list for all the local stop smoking services can be downloaded here.
Quitline is open 24/7 and can help you quit in a number of different ways. You can ring, email, text or do it all online.
- Call Quitline free on 0800 778 778. Quit Advisors work with people to make a plan. People who use Quitline's services and support are more likely to successfully quit than those who try to quit alone.
- At Quitline's website, www.quit.org.nz people can see how much money they are saving by quitting - there's even a personalised 'Quit Stats' tool.
- Join Quitline's blog community for 24 hour support from people who are going through the same journey.
- Quitline has a Facebook page at www.facebook.com/quitlinenz.
- Register by phone or online for the Txt2Quit service and get sent texts to motivate you as you quit. To register: text QUIT to 4006.
- 24/7 support for both phone and Txt2Quit services.
- Nicotine patches, gum and lozenges can double someone's chances of successfully quitting. They are $5 each when you order them from Quitline by phone or online. The team can also give advice on other stop smoking medication options.
Homecare Medical runs Quitline and a range of national telehealth health and mental health and addictions services.
Some community pharmacists can provide funded nicotine replacement therapy (nicotine gum, patches or lozenges) without a prescription. This will attract a $5 co-payment. Some pharmacists or pharmacies also offer behaviour support services as well, others will refer you to the local stop smoking service or Quitline.