On this page
Internationally, World Smokefree Day is known as World No Tobacco Day, and is celebrated annually on 31 May.
World Smokefree Day is celebrated and delivered at a local level with a theme being applied to current initiatives and priorities. Regional smokefree coalitions provide a collaborative approach and touchpoints for anyone wanting to get involved.
The objectives of World Smokefree Day (WSFD) in New Zealand are:
- raising awareness and contributing to the achievement of the Smokefree 2025 goal
- enabling better collaboration, planning and coordination of work within regions and across the country
- raising awareness of the smokefree kaupapa with the underlying objectives of reducing exposure to second-hand smoke and increasing quit attempts
- enabling continuity and consistency of messaging and creative across the country
- building on and complementing current work in tobacco control.
About the theme
The theme for World Smokefree Day 2018 is 'it's about whānau' with a focus on celebrating New Zealand's smokefree achievements.
The majority of New Zealanders are smokefree and want smokefree environments. Having smokefree whānau, homes, workplaces and public spaces is worth celebrating! Tihei manawa ora! Sneeze, the breath of life!
Individuals and organisations with an interest in tobacco control have formed regional smokefree coalitions. The teams offer a mix of knowledge, experience and resource to help ensure regional activities support and complement each other.
See who the World Smokefree Day regional facilitator is in your region.
World Smokefree Day tools and resources
The Health Promotion Agency produces a range of digital tools and resources to support those who wish to mark World Smokefree Day.
Download the World Smokefree Day 2018 toolkit. This toolkit designed to help you, you organisation, or your community to mark World Smokefree Day 2018. World Smokefree Day is an opportunity to highlight the benefits of being smokefree right through the month of May.
The toolkit contains:
- ideas for local activity
- tips for engaging with local media and using Facebook to promote World Smokefree Day
- PLUS a catalogue of digital resources that can be used locally to mark World Smokefree Day.
You can use the resources for promoting the smokefree message via many channels, for example: in newsletters, on websites, via social media, in presentations, email signatures, employer intranets, waiting room screens, and with your local media. We encourage you to share the toolkit and the resources far and wide across your networks.
All the digital resources referenced in the toolkit are available for download from the smokefree resource library.
A range of smokefree merchandise is also available to purchase from Signature Promotions.
Want to quit?
World Smokefree Day is the perfect opportunity to encourage and help those who want to quit smoking and support friends and whānau on their quit journey.
If you want to stop smoking, or want to support someone who smokes to quit, see the stop smoking services page for details on the organisations who can help in your region.