Internationally, World Smokefree Day is known as World No Tobacco Day, and is celebrated annually on 31 May.
World Smokefree Day is celebrated and delivered at a local level through the theme being applied to current initiatives and priorities. Regional teams provide a collaborative approach and touchpoints for anyone wanting to get involved.
The objectives of World Smokefree Day (WSFD) in New Zealand are:
- raising awareness and contributing to the achievement of the Smokefree 2025 goal
- enabling better collaboration, planning and coordination of work within regions and across the country
- raising awareness of the smokefree kaupapa with the underlying objectives of reducing exposure to second-hand smoke and increasing quit attempts
- enabling continuity and consistency of messaging and creative across the country
- building on and complementing current work in tobacco control.
Planning is currently underway for World Smokefree Day 2018. Information and resources will be available on this page, please check back for updates.