On this page
If you are a smoker, you’ll know smoking is expensive! Imagine how much money you could save if you stopped. We are not talking small amounts here – someone smoking a pack a day spends about $177 a week on cigarettes, which is over $9,200 each year.27
Someone who is earning the median hourly wage (in New Zealand this was about $24 in 2016), would have to work for almost an hour just to earn enough to buy a packet of cigarettes. All that effort going up in smoke. Do you really want to spend your time working, just so you can smoke?
Calculate your cost of smoking
Quitting smoking is like giving yourself a pay rise. Use this calculator tool to see just how much you could be saving in a week, month, year and in a lifetime once you go smokefree.
Heard enough? Want to quit? Why not start your smokefree life?
With the money saved from stopping smoking you could:
- go on holiday
- pay off some debts
- buy a car
- rent a bigger house, or pay more off your mortgage
- treat yourself and your whānau to a nice meal – every week!
When you compare one with the other there’s no mistaking the better choice. A smokefree way of life provides a lot more than good health.
Click on a link below to download the tobacco pouch infographic.
- Cost of tobacco - call to action - landscape - .pdf
- Cost of tobacco - call to action - portrait - .pdf
- Cost of tobacco - call to action - landscape - .jpg
- Cost of tobacco - call to action - portrait - .jpg
- Cost of tobacco - add your own call to action - .doc
Click on a link below to download the cigarette infographic:
- Cost of cigarettes - call to action - landscape - .pdf
- Cost of cigarettes - call to action - portrait - .pdf
- Cost of cigarettes - call to action - landscape - .jpg
- Cost of cigarettes - call to action - portrait - .jpg
- Cost of cigarettes - add your own call to action - .doc
A note on the three different file types:
.pdf - best if you want to use the infographic as a poster - it will give you better print quality
.jpg - this is an image file and you should use this if you wish to insert the image into a newsletter or on a website, for example
.doc - in this Word file the "call to action" can be edited to contain a logo and contact details, for example the details of your local stop smoking service.